Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week 2 Reading Reflection

The biggest surprise for me in this reading was that entrepreneurship had been accepted as a term dealing with business since the 18th century. I knew entrepreneurship was a word, but I thought the concept of entrepreneurship was fairly new to the business world. I had no idea it went back to the 1950s. I was also surprised that the book made such an effort to distinguish small businesses from entrepreneurs.
I was confused by the gazelle concept. Is it a concept similar to a "bull market?" Do entrepreneurs say to themselves "I'm going to start a gazelle business" as opposed to something else? Is "gazelle" an an accepted term? Do investors look at businesses and say "this has been a very successful gazelle business?"
My first question to the author would be is he an entrepreneur himself. I would ask this because I would want to know if he was going to include information from his own experiences. To me, entrepreneurship seems like a career without a model, so how can he write on a particular model of entrepreneurship if he wasn't one.
My second question to the author would be if he had stories of students using his teachings to be successful, and if he did, did they use his model of entrepreneurship or did they modify it to fit their own needs?
I don't know enough about entrepreneurship to be able to think the author was wrong about something. I would disagree with the tone of how he described managers. It seemed as though he saw managers as lower than entrepreneurs on a totem pole of business. Personally, I think they are different. I think managers take on different roles and responsibilities than entrepreneurs. They might work together on projects, but I wouldn't see an entrepreneur being above a manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment