Thursday, April 7, 2016

Celebrating Failure

A time that I failed was outside of this class. I was working at my internship and found out I had been booking some hotels wrong. Basically I was giving the wrong rate to the wrong people and that rate was supposed to be hidden and I wasn't hiding it. When I found out, I was embarrassed, and worried about what would happen going forward (I had only been working there for a few weeks).

Basically, my supervisor took me and the other intern and walked us through making the reservation correctly. She showed us what was going wrong and we learned from it. It showed me to pay more attention to what I was doing. But it also showed me that I was in an environment that facilitated learning from mistakes.

I've always seen failure as a way to make things better. Even when my supervisors have told me I didn't fail, I ask them how I could have handled it better. If I really think I did something right, and I find out I've done it wrong, I'll usually be embarrassed. I try to handle it privately and just think about how I'm going to do it better. I'll usually keep my head down for a little bit just thinking and then I shake it off. If I'm being perfectly honest, my perspective hasn't changed in regards to failure. I won't look at risks more or less than I did previously. 

2 comments:

  1. I, along with you and most other people, see failure as a way to improve and better ourselves. It is okay to make mistakes and/or not reach goals, but it is how you correct these things that make you better. Nice work, check out my post at http://mudine.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I would first like to compliment your honesty in this post. While we all make mistakes, it truly takes a mature person to realize the problem and seek out help. Regarding your failure, I think it's pretty cool that your supervisor was more interested in helping you learn as opposed to chewing you out for making a mistake. I'm glad to see you gained a valuable experience during your internship and I wish you the best of luck this semester.

    I have attached the link to my failures as well and am looking forward to your comment.

    http://dipaoloent.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    Best,
    Louis DiPaolo Jr

    ReplyDelete